Day in the Life of a First Semester 1L

This is not a full and accurate accounting of my 1L (but if you don't think I have the information available, you're incorrect about the level of Type A that I am).  While this is not perhaps a typical daily schedule, it is what worked for me for 2 of 3 years.  "Typical" is a misnomer anyway- nearly everyone I know operated independently with their own plan.  (3L my schedule necessitated a "morning" study routine).

I was also more involved in student organizations than is suggest for a 1L (see infra next post, maybe).  For the sake of not burying the lede there- don't do multiple leadership roles as a first semester 1L especially if you haven't been in school for more than five years.

As a first semester 1L, I was taking 3 doctrinal classes and legal writing, and I lived within 5 minutes of campus, so I went home a lot.  I'm also the opposite of a morning person and I am an elite level procrastinator with ADHD.  Times altered appropriately to protect the innocent.



0730:  Hit alarm for 15 minutes.  Shower and Do Makeup (ignore hair, this is why our lord and savior invented the topknot amirite?).  Throw books in my bag, grab a bagel and water, and walk to class.

0900-1015:  Legislation.  This was my hardest class first semester because the material is dense and so was I.

1030-1145:  Property.  Still not sure what I learned in this class, but I passed the bar eventually so its whatever.

1200-1300:  eat lunch rapidly and snooze for an hour.

1300-1400: keep sleeping because i stayed up too late reading and i will probably do the same tonight.  Run to class.

1430-1600: Torts.  My torts professor is a delight and someone every 1L should meet.

1630-1730: My gym is between the law school and my home, so I went after class if I wasn't starving or in desperate need of a nap.

1730-1815: dinner.  always dinner.

1830-2045: this is when i take an after dinner nap, or watch netflix, or stare at my phone.

2100:  OH SHIT I HAVE TO STUDY O'CLOCK.  I had 3 classes the next day.  Legislation (this requires 3 hours for me to get through 20pgs, generally), Torts (2 hours, probably), and Legal Writing (we all gave up preparing for this class.  improvisation is a useful tool as an attorney).  However, I have a big gap in the middle of the day tomorrow, so i'm only going to do Legislation tonight.

0030: Finished working.  Spend another 30 minutes watching youtube videos reviewing new eyeshadow palettes that I shouldn't buy on a student loan budget.

0100: Brush my teeth.  Look at fancy skincare items and instead wash face with target brand makeup remover wipe.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On Applying for 1L Summer Jobs

How to Make the Most of Orientation but Not Worry Too Much About It, Regardless.